Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Blue Dragon

It's an RPG.   There's not a whole lot left to say as far as the game's engine rig is concerned.  All classic roleplaying institutions are employed here.   It has turn-based, menu fighting, bad voice acting, a cast of characters that mystically shelter themselves in the protagonists bowels when travelling, dungeon crawling, grinding, and STOP!  

Something amazing has happened here.  The usual Akira Toriyama character design isn't making me want to throw up my colon.  The big heads, haunting eyes, and clashing attire are still abound, but the game's art direction overall shines through.  The environments and their inhabitants are wonderfully creative, and each new place visited offers something new for the senses to digest.

The player's opinion of this game is going to boil down to just how much he or she really likes classic styled RPG's.  Personally I like for my roleplaying games to offer a bit more originality in the gameplay department.  However, the wonderfully creative and colorful art direction has me hooked if only to see what new and fantastic locales and creatures the game with throw at me next.

No comments: